Austin's first day of braces, went better than he expected. He had friends telling him he was going to be in a lot of pain, he was worried. As the day went on after they were put on he was waiting for it to start hurting. I think he was surprised it never happened. Its funny to watch him trying to get used to them. He's very cautious when he eats. Chews slow. I think he smashed his fries from lunch with his tongue and the roof of his mouth. Bread type foods and braces don't mix well. It gets stuck in the braces and is hard to clean out with your tongue. I am surprised at how well he is taking care of them. He brushes and flosses after every time he eats. I know this is the first day and it's all new and fresh but I thought it would be a struggle with getting him to do it. He signed a contract with the dentist that he would take care of them and brush after every meal. He understands what a contract means so he's scared into obeying it. I just hope it lasts the whole 24 months he has to have them on. Eating a hamburger on his first day was a challenge. Luckily The Habit had knives and forks and he was able to cut the patties and not have to worry about taking a bite. I bought him lots of yogurt, pudding and jello. He requeted spaghetti-o's. Gross but he likes them. I'll have to start thinking of softer type dishes to make for dinner for a while so he doesn't live on spaghetti-o's the next few days and the days that he gets the bands put on. The place we go to, Crawford Orthodontics, really caters to the kids. They have monthly contests for them, a wheel you spin for prizes at the end of every visit. Austin won a McDonald's gift card but lost it while he was waiting for me to pick him up. He got a t-shirt with the orhos name on it and if he wears it to his appointments he gets another spin at the wheel. Kids are winning money, awesome gift baskets, tickets to games. Lots of cool prizes. The staff and the orthodontist are all very friendly there. So far, with how many times we've been there over the last couple of weeks we've been pleased. We'll be there a lot with Autin and starting in Feb, Teryn for round number two, so its good we found a place we enjoy going to.
No comments:
Post a Comment